Wednesday, July 29, 2015

It's Okay to Express Your Heart to God!


One thing I love about the book of Psalms is that the writers were very honest with God. They expressed their true hearts and feelings to God. Whether they were joyful, confident, distressed, depressed, angry, upset, or afraid, they wrote about it.

So.... it's okay to express our hearts to God as well. Every emotion you or I could ever experience seems to be mentioned in the Psalms. No matter what we are going through, I believe God wants to hear our inner most thoughts. A intimate relationship with God gets everything out in the open so we can be helped.

In my devotion this morning I came across Psalms 77; 2-10. A perfect example of expressing our heart to God. I am going to share with you the Message Bible version because for me, it is so read-able.

I found myself in trouble and went looking for my Lord;
my life was an open wound that would not heal.
When friends said, "everything will be alright," 
I did not believe a word they said.
I remember God - shake my head.
I bow my head - then wring my hands.
I'm awake all night - not a wink of sleep;
I can't even say what's bothering me.
I go over the days one by one,
I ponder the years gone by.
I strum my lute all through the night,
wondering how to get my life together.

Will the Lord walk off and leave us for good?
Will he never smile again/
Is his love worn threadbare?
Has His salvation promise burned out?
Has God forgotten His manners?
Has He angrily walked off and left us?
"Just my luck", I said. God goes out of business
just  the moment I need Him! 

Ever had those thoughts?
It's okay to express your heart to God,
in your conversation with Him. 

That is, if we finish this conversation like the writer does!

Once again I will go over what God has done in the past,
lay out on the table the ancient wonders;
I will ponder all the things He's accomplished,
and give a long, loving look at His acts.

Oh God! Your way is holy!
No god is great like You!
You are the God who makes things happen;
You showed everyone what You can do -
You pulled your people out of the worst kind of trouble,
You rescued the children of Jacob and Joseph.
v. 20 Hidden in the hands of Moses and Aaron,
You led your people like a flock of sheep! 

A true, close, intimate relationship with God gets everything out in the open so we can be helped. Try it and you will see!

After our true confession we must always remember and ponder the great things He has accomplished in the past! Try it and you will be encouraged!


Enjoy your journey,
Blessings,
Joan